Monday, September 6, 2010

Do you have a meal that brings back memories? Of your roots, or special occasions? I do. The meal I made tonight makes me feel like a farm-wife. I scrubbed all the veggies, chopped and seasoned, layered and baked it for 2 hours. When I was younger, I always believed I'd grow up to live on a farm, take care of animals and live off the land. God had a different direction planned for me, but I still take heart in some meals that bring the feeling of being a farm girl. That's one thing I love about cooking. It triggers memories that I love, brings back feelings of happiness and makes me feel close to family, even though the miles separate us.

There are two recipes that I made today, and I'm not claiming they are the world's greatest. However, they both are absolutely delicious :) and that's good enough for me today.

I found some delicious looking zucchini at the Community Market this week and couldn't resist bringing some home. My Grandma has a recipe for a Zucchini Cake that is flavored with cinnamon. It's a sweet alternative to breads, and a great way to get family members to eat a green vegetable! Brice wasn't willing to try it at first, but it didn't take long for him to join us. :)

Zucchini Cake
2 c sugar
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups shredded zucchini
(1/2 c nuts) optional

Mix the wet ingredients, then add the dry and mix well. (If using a stand mixer, be sure to lock it in place. The batter gets thick.) Then add the zucchini and nuts. Bake in 2 square pans for 35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

The second recipe of the evening was my Awesome Cornbread recipe. My grandma also adapted this recipe from one she already had. It is a sweeter recipe than most, and I'm thinking of testing it with whole wheat flour soon. It's super fast and a great add on to a filling dinner such as the Layered Beef Casserole we had tonight.

AWESOME CORNBREAD
1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c canola oil
1 egg
1 c milk

Mix all ingredients. Pour into an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. (I prefer to make muffins. The recipe makes 12 muffins, using a 1/4 cup measure for each one. Bake until your preferred shade of brown.)

I'm in the process of figuring out which herbs I want to grow inside this winter, and where on earth I'm going to put them to keep them warm :) Part of me wants to get rid of my microwave so I can have that shelf for plants! haha....we'll see! Brice isn't up for it yet, but I'm leaning more and more towards getting rid of it. What herbs do you like best, and how do you use them?

Keep it safe: eat organic, clean naturally, and most important of all HAVE FUN this week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment