Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Here we go again! And then some dirty laundry...

I can't get it out of my head....the idea that I should be blogging about my life. But this crazy little niggling doubt jumps through my head, taunting me. I have a seriously crazy obsession with NOT being like everyone else. I suppose it has more to do with the fact that I don't want to jump on the bandwagon just because it's there. I'd rather jump on because it's something I like or want to do. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Tonight, a different perspective hit me, out of the blue I might add, while I was doing laundry. This could be good for my kids. How? you ask...Well, I'm notorious for NOT taking enough pictures of my kiddos during stages. I can't tell you the exact date my kids ate their first foods, walked, or took most milestones. Those things seem to fly by and in the whirlwind of my life, I never take the time to document them. So far, the milestones have been pretty minimal in regards to lifetime impact, but I'd love to be able to document more important milestones along the way. Part of that includes documenting my life and leaving a piece of myself behind for them....So....here we go!

 Tonight, I want to share with you what I'ev discovered saves me from stinky laundry. In my house, laundry is the enemy. I'm constantly forgetting a load in the washer, only to come back a few days later to find it smells worse than my husband's stinky feet! My instant solution that has been working on a regular basis is this:

Step 1:
Open washer (plug nose) and sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda around the tub. (My washer is a plain ole top loading washer, if yours is front-loading, just toss some on top of the clothes.)

Step 2:
Fill the fabric softener cup with white vinegar.

Step 3: Set the washer to the appropriate cycle for the clothes you've forgotten, and toss in some laundry detergent.

VOILA! Your laundry will smell totally deliciously like your detergent when it comes out of the dryer.

(However, if you are like me and sometimes forget it a second time, let me tell you my best trick! Use a DIFFERENT detergent than you used the first two times. I always keep more than one type on hand...in my world, Army uniforms & baby clothes both need separate detergent. Homemade detergent is in the works.....more on that later...)

Best Wishes for Fabulous Smelling Laundry..........~Melissa

4 comments:

  1. I have been struggling with the same thing. Everybody blogs. Why would anyone want to read MY blog? But I actually enjoy it and *want* to do it. I think you have inspired me to get back to my blog as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Well I know I would read it! :) It helps me to know my friends better, and I LOVE that. If you start up, be sure to post at least one on FB so I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that ALL the time! (forgetting laundry that is.) SO nice to know I am not alone. I don't have a softener dispenser, do you think I could put the vinegar in the bleach dispenser instead?
    And I completely understand the blog or not to blog dilemma. But I would love to read yours and I think that's the key. We don't necessarily have to reach the world with what we write, it can just be a medium to express ourselves and share our lives with those who are already in it! (Preaching at myself there btw.) Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure when the bleach dispenser goes in. I think it would be too early. What about a downy ball with vinegar in it? The idea is to put it in during the rinse cycle. I used to use softener trying to hide the smells, but found it to be really ineffective. The would come out of the drier stinkier than when I put them in.

    My washing machine often smells of vinegar, which is a smell that fades after it dries. The clothes, never ever smell like vinegar. We have lots of urine...ewww....in the kids clothes and the vinegar neutralizes that too. It's an added bonus. Plus it brightens clothes too. :) It's miracle stuff! I wish I could bring it into my house in a spigot!

    ReplyDelete