Friday, September 3, 2010

Recipe Results!

Here is my review for the meatloaf recipe I tested last night!

The Best Meatloaf in the World

3/4 cup fresh wheat bread crumbs
3/4 cup skim milk
1 1/2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
2 large eggs--beaten
1/4 cup grated onion
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp dried sage

Combine with fork. Don't overmix.
Turn mixture into meatloaf pan. Smooth with tines of fork.

Prepare topping:
1/4 cup ketchup
3 T brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Spread over meatloaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Wait 10 minutes before slicing.

This recipe was simple to make. I had never grated onion before and honestly didn't find the process enjoyable, but it definitely produced better results than dicing the onion does. The onion pieces were undetectable within the meat mixture, a refreshing change from my world of diced onion. The topping was fabulous, and I will double it next time and spread it over the entire loaf, sides and all! It was tempting to add more ketchup on top--I'm a lines on meatloaf kinda girl. But in the interest of this review I resisted the urge.

My notes for next time include: Use a 9x13 and put the loaf in the middle instead of using a loaf pan. I had to drain a bunch of liquid off the top. (I also neglected to put a pan under it and ended up opening windows after the liquid started burning on the oven floor.)

This recipe is DEFINITELY worth trying. I chose it because many of the others I found titled World's Greatest had soups or mixes in them or some sort, and I prefer to make my food completely from scratch when possible. Another scoring point for it was the health factor.

You've got to give credit where credit is due:
Recipe by Harriet Hodgson (Copyright 2005), I acessed it through the following link: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Best-Meat-Loaf-in-the-world&id=110370 or you can check her website www.harriethodgson.com

As for the Ba-Ba-Banana Bread:

I wasn't really impressed. It seemed dry and I'm thinking of adding some vanilla yogurt next time to add moisture. However, the kids are enjoying it...and it is healthy. Did I mention it was Whole Wheat? :)

Happy Cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment